For most people, the thought of tooth grinding and gum disease is enough to make them shudder. But for those who are already struggling with this dental health issue, it’s important to find a remedy fast. Fortunately, there are plenty of natural ways you can try to prevent the onset of gum disease in your mouth – and even kick those old habits that might be causing it!
What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a serious infection of the gums and tissues that support your teeth. It’s caused by plaque, a sticky film of bacteria that forms on your teeth. If plaque isn’t removed, it can harden into tartar, which leads to gum disease.
Symptoms of gum disease include bleeding gums, red and swollen gums, and receding gums. If not treated, gum disease can damage the bones and connective tissue that support your teeth, and eventually lead to tooth loss.
Fortunately, there are several natural remedies that can help prevent or treat gum disease. Here are the top natural remedies for preventing gum disease:
What Causes Gum Disease?
There are a few things that can cause gum disease. The most common cause is poor dental hygiene. This means not brushing and flossing regularly, or not doing it properly. If you don’t remove the plaque from your teeth, it turns into tartar, which is much harder to remove. Tartar can cause your gums to become inflamed and bleed easily.
Other causes of gum disease include smoking, diabetes, hormonal changes (such as during pregnancy), certain medications (such as steroids), and genetic factors.
How to Prevent Gum Disease
Gum disease is an infection of the gums that can lead to tooth loss. It is important to take steps to prevent gum disease and keep your teeth healthy.
There are a few things you can do to help prevent gum disease:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Floss daily to remove plaque from between your teeth.
- Eat a healthy diet and avoid sugary snacks.
- Quit smoking, if you smoke cigarettes or use tobacco products.
- See your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and checkups.
Best 5 Natural Remedies for Gum Disease
- Oil pulling: Oil pulling is an ancient Indian practice that helps to cleanse the mouth and remove bacteria. To do oil pulling, simply swish a tablespoon of coconut oil around in your mouth for 20 minutes. Spit it out and then brush your teeth as usual.
- Probiotics: Probiotics are live bacteria that are good for your gut health. They can also help to fight gum disease by keeping the mouth healthy and balanced. Look for probiotic supplements or foods that contain live cultures, such as yogurt or sauerkraut.
- Green tea: Green tea contains polyphenols, which are antioxidants that can help to reduce inflammation and kill bacteria. Drink 1-2 cups of green tea per day or use green tea bags as a mouthwash by soaking them in hot water and then using the liquid to rinse your mouth.
- Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic that can help to kill bacteria and reduce inflammation in the gums. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to water and use it as a mouthwash, or apply it directly to the gums with a cotton swab.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps to reduce inflammation and promote healing. You can get vitamin C from citrus fruits, leafy greens, bell peppers, tomatoes, and broccoli. You can also take a supplement if you don’t get enough from your diet
Preventing gum disease is important for maintaining good oral health. Luckily, there are several natural remedies that can help keep your gums healthy and free from disease. We hope that our list of the top 5 natural remedies for preventing gum disease has given you some ideas on how to keep your own gums healthy. Do you have a favorite remedy for preventing gum disease? Let us know in the comments below!
Prodentim: New Oral Health Supplement
ProDentim is a brand new advanced oral health supplement that claims to support the health of your gums, teeth, and saliva. ProDentim contains an exclusive blend of ingredients that help to cleanse your mouth and remove plaque and bacteria. ProDentim also helps to remineralize your teeth and defend against tooth decay.